The history of St. Peter’s starts in the year 1885 when the Rev. Beverly D. Tucker and a committee from old St. Paul’s began a new parish in the village of Brambleton. The first services were held in a meeting room over what was Tatum’s Drug store on the corner of Park and Brambleton.
A corner stone was laid in 1886, at 1625 Brown Ave. as the site of the new church. The first vestry was elected November 15, 1886. The building was consecrated on March 14, 1887 and the first confirmation was the next day, March 15, 1887.
After World War II, many members began to leave the Brambleton area for the outlying suburbs, and in December 1956 the congregation voted to move its place of worship. The search went into the Elizabeth Park and Poplar Hall areas of the city. A site was located at 224 S. Military Highway, St. Peter’s current location. The last service in the old St. Peter’s location was held in May of 1959. In November 1959, with approximately 30 communicants and The Rev. Anthony Diffenbaugh, ground was broken at the new site and the new St. Peters congregation was established. To help the building fund grow, congregation members purchased cinder blocks at $.45 a piece. Services were held at 5722 Sellger Dr. until the first worship service was held in an unfinished sanctuary, Christmas Eve, 1959.
In January 1960, the first official worship service was held, including confirmation with the Rt. Rev. George P. Gunn and the Rt. Rev. William A. Brown (retired) presiding. The remainder of the building, which includes the library and office spaces, was completed by the spring of 1961. St. Peters became self-supporting in January 1962 and parish status was granted in May that year. The Rev. A. G. Diffenbaugh was called as the permanent rector.
During the years that followed, St. Peters saw a new sanctuary built in 1963. The day school was completed in March 1965 and continues to be a pillar of education for pre-school and kindergarten.
In January 1997 the Rev. John Eidam was called to St. Peters as the rector. Under his guidance and God’s grace St. Peters continues to grow, Celebrating and Proclaiming our Life in Jesus Christ!